Today I went to the doctor's. She gave me a form medical certificate on which she wrote my diagnosis and 'all functional symptoms of the condition'. I tried to read the details of my symptoms, but all I could make out from the handwriting was something about 'vegetable distribution'.
***
On the way home from the doctor's (for I went out sans shower and had to go back home before starting my day proper), I picked up 10 litres of cat litter at the local pet store. I heaved it on my shoulder and walked the 15 minutes home, pausing occasionally to re-position the litter and tug down my rising t-shirt which kept exposing the skin of my hips to the cold, cold air.
I wonder why they sell a dry product in litre quantities? Is 10 litres of cat litter the same as 10 kilograms of cat litter?
***
I caught the bus to uni and ate a pie for a late lunch outside the lecture theatre where I was planning to attend a seminar. I didn't really feel like talking to anyone who I might run into in my office or the tea room, so, after I finished eating, I turned on my laptop and Googled 'neo-liberalism'.
The seminar was on the quest for narrative closure in critical writing on the films of David Lynch. It would take more time and mental energy than I have right now to explain the seminar further with any of the justice due to it.
Everyone who ever taught me French in my undergraduate degree was there. They must have all gotten jobs here after the Humanities school closed at my former university.
Afterwards, I drank a cup of filter coffee and chatted with some people, but didn't eat any of the cakes on offer because I'm still recovering from overdosing on the chocolate brownies I made last Friday.
***
I went to the library and looked up one of the references I found earlier at the end of the Wikipedia article on neo-liberalism. This led to my borrowing more books to read for my thesis than I could carry home, so I stopped by my office and dropped off all but one, which I planned to look at tonight.
***
It took me an hour and a half to get home on public transport due to traffic congestion. The journey was made worse by a girl talking loudly on a mobile right behind me for most of the way. Thankfully she was speaking a language I couldn't understand.
I eventually listened to a podcast from The Philosopher's Zone. This one was on Nietzsche. I find myself fascinated by his ideas on the benefits of suffering and the fact that he spent a lot of time in physical pain, but I'm irritated by some other aspects of his work that I have an inkling of.
I might have done some damage to my ears by turning up the volume on the music I was listening to in the last 15 minutes of the journey on the first bus I caught. After nearly an hour that girl was still talking loudly on her phone and she had begun kicking the back of my seat.
***
At home I watched the news and the 7.30 Report and got into a Twitter conversation about the questions Kerry O'Brien was asking Julia Gillard. It was a ridiculous case of a question that relied on taking Ms Gillard to task for apparently deviating from the stereotype of the caring, nurturing woman. That would make her cold but competent.
***
I downloaded the first episode of Sherlock.
***
I haven't looked at the book I brought home to look at tonight.
***
The cat has just settled herself into my lounge chair.
No comments:
Post a Comment